Newsletter 139 - Research 7/7 - Early Grade Reading
EGRS – 2017 Report by DBE
One of the biggest developmental challenges facing South Africa is the high number of children who do no learn to read for meaning in the early years of school. In order to address this challenge the DBE initiated the Early Grade Reading Study.
Recommendations & DBE plans
- Structured programmes with coaches help
- Coaching is the best alternative
- Direct in-service training is better than train-the-trainer models
- Existing curriculum advisers cannot fulfill the role of the coach
- Prioritising schools is a viable option
- Develop reading norms in the African language
- Learn from EGRS
- Parental involvement need further research
- Learning what works in deep rural settings
- Measuring long term EGRS impact
- Early grade mathematics study over the next 2-5yrs.